Pathway Steps:

Two Early Childhood Teacher Pathways that prepare students for the Master Teacher Permit are highlighted below.

Early Childhood Master Teacher Option 1:

Early Childhood Master Teacher Option 2: 

  • Complete the Cuesta College Degree: AS-T in Early Childhood Education
    • See Sample 2-Year Plan for AS-T in Early Childhood Education
      • Plus, complete ECE 245 "Adult Supervision", and six ECE specialization units to meet permit requirements
  • Complete a Bachelors degree in ECE, Child Development, or similar major  
  • Complete the field experience requirements by working in ECE programs teaching infants, toddlers and preschoolers

Earning a BA/BS degree will allow students to work in the broader field of ECE or Child Development in a variety of professional roles.

To teach grades K-6, you can follow the Elementary School Teacher Pathway (plus 24 ECE units for TK) or after you follow Option #2 above and earn your Bachelors degree, pass the California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET): Multiple Subject Exam, then complete a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential program.

Click here for more detailed information on the above steps as well as further information on the Child Development Master Teacher Permit. (PDF)

Click here to learn more about our upcoming ECE course offerings that are also offered in Spanish. (PDF)

Click here for the Early Childhood Teacher Pathway flyer. (PDF)

If you would like more information or have questions about the Master Teacher Pathway, the AA or AS-T in ECE, or the university transfer process, please contact the Cuesta College Counseling Department 805-546-3138 (San Luis Obispo Campus) or 805-591-6241 (North County Campus).